I’m a freelance machine learning engineer and software developer. I support customers in all phases of their machine
learning projects, from initial research, prototyping, iterative solution development up to serving and maintaining machine
learning solutions in production. My current focus is on neural search engines and multimodal representation learning.
I’m also interested in Bayesian methods for machine learning. My experience as distributed systems engineer comes
from the development of numerous large-scale event-driven systems, including globally distributed systems that
provide causal consistency guarantees. I’m a continuous learner and contributor to several open source projects.
Neural search engines,
multimodal representation learning,
machine learning operations (MLOps),
event sourcing and CQRS,
See also Stories for further information.
Since 04.2018: Machine learning engineer
MerlinOne, https://merlinone.com, Freelance
- Development of a multimodal neural search engine for the MerlinOne digital asset management system.
- Support for text-text, text-image, text-video
and image-image search modes, integrated by a
- Support for face recognition in image and video
- Low search latency under high load and scalability to large datasets.
- Training of multimodal deep learning models on high-quality in-house datasets.
- Image aesthetics assessment with criteria learned from custom in-house datasets.
- Single image super-resolution to improve the quality of low-resolution images.
- Production deployments at many customer sites (hosted and on-premise).
- Responsible for scientific and engineering work in all machine learning projects.
Since 04.2011: Freelance software engineer, machine learning engineer
- Research and development for industry machine learning and deep learning projects.
- Software development services with a focus on backend software and distributed systems.
- See other positions since 2011 for further details.
05.2017 to 04.2018: Machine learning sabbatical
- Deep dive into mathematics, statistics, “traditional” machine learning and deep learning.
- Certifications received in online courses. Self-study of numerous books and papers.
- Publication of some exercise work in articles and open source projects.
- Equal focus on scientific and engineering aspects in machine learning and deep learning.
02.2017 - 04.2017: Distributed systems engineer
fine.lines.software GmbH, https://bullet.io, Freelance
- Design of a distributed workflow management system that also includes mobile devices.
- Event-sourced application with explicit causality for distributed data consistency.
- Consulting activities and development of prototypes.
09.2014 - 08.2017: Distributed systems engineer
Red Bull Media House, http://www.redbullmediahouse.com, Freelance
- Global distribution of the in-house digital asset management platform. Responsible for architecture, design and
- Conception and development of Eventuate, a toolkit for event sourcing
and event collaboration at global scale with causal consistency.
- Development of a service framework for operation-based CRDTs.
10.2015 - 07.2017: Software engineer and architect
agido GmbH, http://www.agido.com, Freelance
- Development of an online sports betting web application.
- Architecture based on event sourcing and event stream processing.
- Usage of Eventuate as technical basis for the web application backend.
- Development of streaming data analytics extensions for Eventuate with Apache Spark.
10.2013 – 02.2014: Software engineer and architect
Lightbend, http://www.lightbend.com/, Freelance
03.2012 – 10.2013: Software engineer and architect
Eligotech BV, http://www.eligotech.com, Freelance
- Development of an E-Wallet management web service for customers in the online gambling industry.
- Conception and development of Eventsourced, an open source project for
building reliable, scalable and distributed event-sourced applications in Scala.
02.2011 – 04.2011: Senior software architect and engineer
- Development of scalability and high-availability concepts and prototypes for the Talend Integration Factory.
01.2005 – 01.2011: Lead software architect and engineer
InterComponentWare AG, https://icw-global.com/
- Conception and development of the Open eHealth Integration Platform (IPF), an eHealth
integration platform on top of Apache Camel. Development and deployment of IPF applications in several international
- Development of LifeSensor, a web-based personal health record.
09.2000 – 12.2004: Senior software architect and engineer
LION bioscience AG, http://www.lionbioscience.com
- Development and optimization of hierarchical clustering algorithms for the drug discovery pipeline of an international
- Development of an integration platform for globally distributed chemical compute services.
- Development of an activity tracking web application for pharmaceutical research projects.
02.1999 – 08.2000: Software developer, research assistant
CAME, University of Salzburg, http://uni-salzburg.at
- Development of algorithms and software for ab-initio protein structure prediction.
- Application of statistical mechanics for structure optimization and evaluation.
07.1998 – 01.1999: Software developer
Austrian Red Cross, http://www.roteskreuz.at/
- Development of a patient transportation management system.
- Programming languages: Python, Scala, Java, C/C++, Haskell
- Machine learning: PyTorch, PyTorch Lightning, Hugging Face, Tensorflow, JAX, scikit-learn, PyMC3, Spark MLlib
- Machine learning operations: AWS SageMaker, Weights & Biases, MLFlow
- Data engineering: Apache Spark, Dask
- Stream processing: Spark Streaming, Akka Streams, Kafka Streams
- Messaging: Apache Kafka, Amazon SQS, Apache ActiveMQ, ZeroMQ
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle Database, Apache Cassandra, Apache HBase, Amazon DynamoDB, MongoDB
- Cloud providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Java SE/EE stack plus many other Java libraries and frameworks
- Lightbend Platform plus many other Scala libraries and frameworks
- Confluent Platform and Alpakka Kafka.
Open source projects
The following is an incomplete list of open source projects I’m currently working on or worked on in the past. See also
Stories for some details and my GitHub account
for a complete list.
Distributed systems and stream processing
- Eventuate. A toolkit for event sourcing and event collaboration at global
scale with causal consistency. Founder and lead developer during my work at the Red Bull Media House.
- Streamz. A combinator library for integrating Functional Streams for Scala (FS2),
Akka Streams and Apache Camel. A functional programming API for Apache Camel.
- Akka. A toolkit for building highly concurrent, distributed, and resilient message-driven applications
for Java and Scala. Contributed Akka Persistence and Akka Camel.
- akka-persistence-cassandra. Storage plugin for Akka Persistence.
Started as personal project and now officially maintained by Lightbend.
- akka-stream-eventsourcing. A project that brings to Akka
Streams what Akka Persistence brings to Akka Actors: persistence via event sourcing.
- Open eHealth Integration Platform. A platform for developing eHealth integration
solutions. Founder and lead developer during my work at ICW.
- Apache Camel. An integration framework based on Enterprise Integration Patterns.
Contributed several integration components as well as core functionality during my work on the Open eHealth Integration
- 11.2015, Reactive Systems Hamburg -
Event Sourcing and CQRS with Akka Persistence and Eventuate.
- 10.2015, Scala User Group Munich -
Event Sourcing and CQRS with Akka Persistence and Eventuate.
- 06.2011, Scala eXchange 2011 -
Connecting Akka to the Rest of the World.
- 11.2009, W-JAX, Munich - Die Open eHealth Integration Platform.
- 05.2009, ICW Developer Conference, Walldorf - The Open eHealth Integration Platform.
- 05.2008, ICW Developer Conference, Walldorf - Instance-based Security with the Security Annotation Framework.
- 11.2007, SOACon, Munich - Implementierung von Enterprise Integration Patterns auf einem JBI ESB.
- 1997, MS in Chemistry (Mag. rer. nat.) with distinction, Karl-Franzens Universität Graz.
- 1996, Various courses in computer science, Karl-Franzens Universität Graz.