I’m a freelance machine learning engineer and software developer. I support customers in all phases of their machine
learning projects, from initial research, prototyping, iterative solution development up to serving and maintaining machine
learning solutions in production environments. Current focus is on deep learning for computer vision and natural language
processing, mainly in context of multimodal neural search engines. I also have a special interest in Bayesian methods
for machine learning. My experience as distributed systems engineer comes from the development of numerous large-scale
event-driven systems, including globally distributed systems that provide causal consistency guarantees. I’m a continuous
learner and contributor to several open source projects.
machine learning operations (MLOps),
event sourcing and CQRS,
event stream processing,
See also Stories for further information.
Since 04.2018: Machine learning engineer
MerlinOne, https://merlinone.com, Freelance
- Development of a multimodal neural search engine for the MerlinOne digital asset management system.
- Support for text-text, text-image, text-video
and image-image search modes, optionally using
- Multimodal training and fine-tuning of neural networks on high-quality in-house datasets.
- Low search latency and scalability to very large datasets.
- Image aesthetics assessment with criteria learned from custom in-house datasets.
- Single image super-resolution to improve quality of low-resolution images.
- Production deployments to several customer sites (hosted and on-premise).
- Responsible for scientific and engineering work in all machine learning projects.
Since 04.2011: Freelance software engineer, machine learning engineer
- Research and development for industry machine learning and deep learning projects.
- Software development services with a focus on backend software and distributed systems.
- See other positions since 2011 for further details.
05.2017 to 04.2018: Machine learning sabbatical
- Deep dive into mathematics, statistics, “traditional” machine learning and deep learning.
- Certifications received in online courses. Self-study of numerous books and papers.
- Publication of some exercise work in articles and open source projects.
- Equal focus on theoretical and engineering aspects in machine learning and deep learning.
02.2017 - 04.2017: Distributed systems engineer
fine.lines.software GmbH, https://bullet.io, Freelance
- Design and implementation of a distributed system architecture based on event sourcing with explicit causality that
also includes mobile devices.
- Consulting activities and development of prototypes.
09.2014 - 08.2017: Distributed systems engineer
Red Bull Media House, http://www.redbullmediahouse.com, Freelance
- Global distribution of the in-house digital asset management platform. Responsible for architecture, design and
- Conception and development of Eventuate, a toolkit for event sourcing
and event collaboration at global scale with causal consistency.
10.2015 - 07.2017: Software engineer and architect
agido GmbH, http://www.agido.com, Freelance
- Architecture and design consulting for an online sports betting web application with an event sourcing and event
stream processing architecture.
- Usage of Eventuate as technical basis for the web application backend. Development of streaming data analytics
extensions for Eventuate.
10.2013 – 02.2014: Software engineer and architect
Lightbend, http://www.lightbend.com/, Freelance
03.2012 – 10.2013: Software engineer and architect
Eligotech BV, http://www.eligotech.com, Freelance
- Development of an E-Wallet management web service for customers in the online gambling industry.
- Conception and development of Eventsourced, an open source project for
building reliable, scalable and distributed event-sourced applications in Scala.
02.2011 – 04.2011: Senior software architect and engineer
- Development of scalability and high-availability concepts and prototypes for the Talend Integration Factory.
01.2005 – 01.2011: Lead software architect and engineer
InterComponentWare AG, https://icw-global.com/
- Conception and development of the Open eHealth Integration Platform (IPF), an eHealth
integration platform on top of Apache Camel. Development and deployment of IPF applications in several international
- Development of LifeSensor, a web-based personal health record.
09.2000 – 12.2004: Senior software architect and engineer
LION bioscience AG, http://www.lionbioscience.com
- Development and optimization of hierarchical clustering algorithms for the drug discovery pipeline of an international
- Development of an integration platform for globally distributed chemical compute services.
- Development of an activity tracking web application for pharmaceutical research projects.
02.1999 – 08.2000: Software developer, research assistant
CAME, University of Salzburg, http://uni-salzburg.at
- Development of algorithms and software for ab-initio protein structure prediction. Application of statistical mechanics
to evaluate generated protein structures.
07.1998 – 01.1999: Software developer
Austrian Red Cross, http://www.roteskreuz.at/
- Development of a patient transportation management system.
- Programming languages: Python, Scala, Java, C/C++, Haskell.
- Machine learning: PyTorch, Lightning, Tensorflow/Keras, scikit-learn, JAX, PyMC3, Spark MLlib, AWS SageMaker, …
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB, MongoDB, LMDB, LevelDB, …
- Stream processing: Spark Streaming, Akka Streams, Kafka Streams.
- Cloud computing: Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform.
- Java SE and Java EE stack plus many other Java libraries and frameworks.
- Lightbend Reactive Platform plus many other Scala libraries and frameworks.
- Confluent Platform (Apache Kafka and its ecosystem) and Reactive Kafka.
Open source projects
The following is an incomplete list of open source projects I’m currently working on or worked on in the past. See also
Stories for some details and my GitHub account
for a complete list.
Distributed systems and stream processing
- Eventuate. A toolkit for event sourcing and event collaboration at global
scale with causal consistency. Founder and lead developer during my work at the Red Bull Media House.
- Streamz. A combinator library for integrating Functional Streams for Scala (FS2),
Akka Streams and Apache Camel. Personal project that I’m still actively developing. Functional programming API on top of
Apache Camel and successor of Akka Camel.
- Akka. A toolkit for building highly concurrent, distributed, and resilient message-driven applications
for Java and Scala. Contributed Akka Persistence and Akka Camel.
- akka-persistence-cassandra. Storage plugin for Akka Persistence.
Started as personal project and now officially maintained by Lightbend.
- akka-stream-eventsourcing. Personal project that brings to Akka
Streams what Akka Persistence brings to Akka Actors: persistence via event sourcing. This is experimental work, inactive
at the moment.
- Eventsourced. A library for building reliable, scalable and distributed
event-sourced applications in Scala. Founder and lead developer during my work at Eligotech. Evolved into Akka Persistence
and is not maintained anymore.
- Open eHealth Integration Platform. A platform for developing eHealth integration
solutions. Founder and lead developer during my work at ICW.
- Apache Camel. An integration framework based on known Enterprise Integration Patterns.
Contributed several integration components as well as core functionality during my work on the Open eHealth Integration
- 11.2015, Reactive Systems Hamburg -
Event Sourcing and CQRS with Akka Persistence and Eventuate.
- 10.2015, Scala User Group Munich -
Event Sourcing and CQRS with Akka Persistence and Eventuate.
- 06.2011, Scala eXchange 2011 -
Connecting Akka to the Rest of the World.
- 11.2009, W-JAX, Munich - Die Open eHealth Integration Platform.
- 05.2009, ICW Developer Conference, Walldorf - The Open eHealth Integration Platform.
- 05.2008, ICW Developer Conference, Walldorf - Instance-based Security with the Security Annotation Framework.
- 11.2007, SOACon, Munich - Implementierung von Enterprise Integration Patterns auf einem JBI ESB.
- 1997, MS in Chemistry (Mag. rer. nat.) with distinction, Karl-Franzens Universität Graz.
- 1996, Various courses in computer science, Karl-Franzens Universität Graz.